1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Terms Lost On The New Generation.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by lonewolf, Oct 7, 2017.

1. ystranc

ystranc Well-Known Member

Neighbour's son studied Politics and European Law.... an unfortunate degree choice that has left him working in a bar with a shitload of debt. Still, no worries eh? We all have our ups and downs

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Administrator Staff Member

yes I heard of a graduate who was working as a street cleaner because he was "over qualified" for everything else.

3. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

A lot of that going around currently , by the young and the old....

Maybe rather than verbally prejudicing against people from afar we should try a different approach?

Dumbing down is an interesting point - who exactly are you aiming that against as a demographic group?? Students??

4. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

Maybe someone like you LW would be a good role model for the younger generation itself - ever considered getting involved as a scout leader ( I hear there is a shortage ) and that way you could help spread your extensive practical knowledge base and provide an insight into some of the positive virtues you prescribe to.

5. ystranc

Prime, o_O Am I sensing sarcasm? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Prime likes this.
  6. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

Sarcasm?!!! Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! ;) I don't even know how to spell it.

( Although you should look up the etymology of the word to understand its full flavour ! )

But I do believe if you identify a problem ( in your eyes ) you've got two choices , man up get involved and be part of the solution in helping to build the world that you want , or.....

......Shut Up !!!

7. ystranc

Don't look at me, I'm not involved in this, :):):) I'm happy to leave you both to work this out between you.:):):)

Prime likes this.
  8. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

Nothing to work out old bean!! Just differing views of opinion.

9. lonewolf

everybody is entitled to their opinion. I will always agree to disagree.
    and in my opinion its ALL of the general public which is dumbing down, probably nobody's fault its just the way that so called progress is going. the old ways are thought of as of no interest and will soon be lost, a shame really but its not just our country, a lot of the tribal nations like Polynesia and the tribes of south america have lost the knowledge of how to make fire and have to be retaught it. a lot of these skills will be lost on future generations, lets hope there never comes a time when they will need them, the consequences could be dire indeed.

10. mark wilson

mark wilson Moderator Staff Member

Progress isn't a bad thing and losing words is not really that important imo. What is important is teaching kids respect and how to earn respect. Work for what they want and never take what's not there's to take....this is what I teach my kids. My kids don't know the names of a lot of flowers (this will change) but they know about respecting others and people's property. But also know how to stick up for themselves.

11. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Active Member

mark wilson likes this.
  12. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

I hope you'd agree Mark ( Already sure you do ) respect is best learned from Adults demonstrating mutual respect and tolerance.

mark wilson likes this.
  13. ystranc

Well regular thrashings didn't teach me anything so maybe a demonstration of mutual respect and tolerance was what I really needed..... Damn!

mark wilson likes this.
  14. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

Hi , I'm assuming that's a little in Tongue in cheek - so also as speaking as one that's received my far share of thrashings ( some 'justified' and some most definitely not ) do you think if someone JUST received regular thrashings as you call it that itself would turn them into a balanced and well adjusted individual ?? as a child ? teenager? or later Adult??

I'm in no way a happy-clappy crystal waving lefty but I do think Tolerance too each other , maintaining an open mind and a life view that people are ALLOWED to be different to you - is a good thing.

15. ystranc

I very much doubt that thrashing a child is the best way to raise a normal, happy balanced person...after all it didn't do me much good.
    I've tried not to make the same mistakes as my Father, my greatest fear is of becoming like him. Humour is just my way of dealing with things, nothing is sacred...everyone is fair game.

mark wilson and Prime like this.
  16. lonewolf

difference is one thing, downright stupidity is something else.
    and despite comments to the contrary society IS dumbing down, there are some very stupid people out there as shown by their actions in everyday life, just watch some news reports if you don't believe me.
    people MIGHT be very knowledgeable when it comes to computers and I.T. in general but they are very ignorant of real life.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  17. ystranc

Maybe it's just that people in our country have been used to being kept safe, fed and housed. Protected by a nanny state that makes all their decisions for them. They're not actually dumber but they're not applying themselves to the things that we're debating here.
    Most people (including myself) have never had to be truly self sufficient, we can go out into the remaining wild places and practice skills but we've not completely cut all ties to society. The schools, hospitals, factories, banks and government institutions haven't really gone away. Until that happens we are only playing at it.

18. lonewolf

its probably not their fault, its the fault of the system and modern life, some things are considered more important than other things, that's okay if someone wants to be led by the nose, but if a serious event happens they wont be able to cope or know the correct thing to do and put themselves in harms way. if one lives by the system one can also die by it.
    I know most people couldn't care less and I don't suppose I should give a damn, when something does go wrong as it inevitably will I suppose I could just say "I told you so" and to hell with it, why should I care if nobody else does?
    that's why I've always looked after number one and the masses can go whistle.

19. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

Oddly it seems we have formed the same fears and concerns in reference to Fatherhood from out own experiences.

20. lonewolf

going a bit off topic here lads!:lol: