1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Just A Suggestion

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Brownbear, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

Just a suggestion (for Admin) - would it make sense to have a selling/swapping/gifting section on the forum. We all have kit, some, if not all of us have a bit of surplus kit here and there. I am wondering if could maybe out to be able to sell/swap it around amongst the forum members to help each other out a bit. What thinks thou? :)

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Administrator Staff Member

a trading area like on the bushy forum you mean?
    its a possibility I suppose but how much call is there for it on a prepping forum? bushcraft sites are a different matter, they seem to have a lot of spare kit.

Brownbear likes this.
  3. ystranc

ystranc Well-Known Member

Another problem is that us preppers are a furtive bunch, not many of us are keen to give away our location.

4. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

If one is that OPSEC minded one can make use of the POSTAL RESTANTE Service on offer from Post offices.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/poste-restante

5. lonewolf

I've bought a few bits and pieces from members of other forums, any reasonable person would delete the address as soon as the item is received.

6. ystranc

Really? Can't think why anyone would delete information like that. Information is power, I try very hard to avoid giving anyone any more power over me then I have to.

7. lonewolf

well I always have, I have no interest in where another member lives, its none of my business.
    your reply seems to blow that particular suggested thread clean out of the water.

8. ystranc

Not necessarily, Prime's suggestion has distinct possibilities.

9. lonewolf

if anybody wanted to go that route, sounds a bit involved, similar to getting a post office box.
    I sent some stuff off to someone a while back, he used his mothers address instead of his own, and I scrapped the address he gave me once he confirmed he's received the stuff. but I suppose not everyone would- maybe they have alterior motives- like a house burglary maybe??:whistle:

10. ystranc

Or cashe raiding. We spend the time and money building a cashe of food, equipment and spare parts, some bugger knows exactly where I am after an event.... No thank you.

11. lonewolf

if someone has the computer skills they can probably find us from our computer address.
    I know one troll who did this, even got a photo on google earth of the wife standing on the drive when the camera car went through, and someone else got a membership list when I was a member of a certain political party.
    but that's now, it'll be different after TSHTF- all bets are off.
    and my response to them will be very different to my response now.
    as an old friend once remarked about post SHTF" anyone found creeping around here at night will be found here in the morning!".

12. ystranc

In an act of self defence after the break down of law and order, of course ;) Still, no point making it easy for them :rofl:

13. lonewolf

I have never subscribed to the "golden horde" theory.....not in the UK anyway, especially once the power grid goes down and the filling stations run out of fuel and people have to WALK.
    people are inherently lazy and will always take the easy option- which isn't walking several hundreds of miles to get to my place.

14. ystranc

I'm not really talking about a horde, I'm talking about a small, well organised, intelligent group, possibly armed.....picking of anyone that they may be in competition with/able to steal from. The thing with walking is that it's harder to detect, that makes them even more dangerous. I'm serious about this, opsec is far too important to risk compromising for a second hand bargain.

15. lonewolf

I agree with your remark about opsec.
    however groups or gangs are extremely volatile and there will be much infighting among the group.
    walking? now that's a different matter, how far will someone walk not knowing what they will find at the end..maybe nothing? and why would they go in one direction rather than another? its all a bit iffy if you'll excuse me.
    also they have to find food and water as they travel as they probably cant carry much or even find much if they are in a desecrated urban area post SHTF so that will increase their journey time.
    any urban gang will not be used to the countryside, not know where to go and will probably get easily lost, there is something here we call "pixie led" which is getting lost in inclement weather-which we get a lot of here.

16. ystranc

You assume that they're urban, why not rogue military? The whole point of gathering information and plotting cashes now is that they wouldn't have to wander aimlessly, they could come right at you, kill you and move in for a while. No lone prepper is geared up to defend against that.

17. lonewolf

maybe not, but its a hell of an assumption, cant see it happening in reality, sounds more like a film script for "Mad Max".

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  18. lonewolf

there are a lot of reasons why this would never happen, many of which are in the post SHTF section.
    a lot to do with distance and resources, but also topography, also how soon or how much later some one would attempt it, also without imports-which would cease- all food supplies are finite, not being replaced without a manufacturing/processing base, once its gone its gone it dosent matter how one spreads it around, rations it or steals it, depends on how many survivors of course, but if not many no need to steal it there would be plenty lying about for the few survivors to access.
    I think too many people assume that everyone alive today would survive post event because the alternative is too horrible to contemplate but that attitude is incorrect.

19. ystranc

It seems immoral to hope for a massive population die off if the system was to collapse but strangely it would be the best hope for the minority who were left. However the numbers of survivors left after recent natural disasters in the Caribbean and Central America don't bear out this theory. There we are seeing a lot of survivors unable to get to aid supplies due to the infrastructure being damaged. This seems particularly cruel and ironic.
    We can't assume anything.

20. lonewolf

I think that in the western world and especially the UK and our cousins in the USA we in general rely too much on everything being "normal" and remaining so, that WHEN a catastrophe does happen it will decimate the population, because we are not prepared for it and aren't expecting it( by "we" I mean the general population as in non preppers), a lot of these countries and the islands in the Caribbean and South America are very poor and living on the bread line even before the calamity, I don't want to be rude but I think we have not only more to lose but further to fall.
    that fall will kill a lot of the UK population just because they wont know what to do and they will expect some outside agency to come to their rescue, doing anything for themselves is outside their comprehension.
    once they have emptied the cupboards in their kitchens and used what minimal food supplies they have and the supermarket is also empty, maybe the power is off which means mains water is also as well as electricity, the dying will start, starvation, dehydration and disease will take their toll and fairly quickly, the hospitals will be overrun and so will the crematoria, the refuse will be piling up in the streets and there will be rats everywhere. dying will be the least of it, dying will be easy its staying alive that will be hard.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017