1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

It Makes Sense To Make Friends With Your (market) Trader!!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by lonewolf, Oct 10, 2017.

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Administrator Staff Member

I have been buying some Samsonite camera pouches at our local weekly market, they are quite small- interior dimensions 60x15x95mm-I previously bought 4 just thinking they could come in handy for car parking change, maybe put my fire lighting kit in another, etc.etc.
    well this morning he approached me and asked me if I wanted the remainder he had at a VERY cheap price, as I tend to buy stuff when I see it and not when I need it(the stuff is usually gone by that stage) I "snatched his hand off" and had the remaining 7 for not much money at all.
    so it shows that is pays to keep on the right side of your suppliers, whoever they are.:D:D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. 38thfoot

38thfoot Member

When I had rabbits i used to help a green grocer clean up his stall including sweeping up all the dropped leaves, off cuts etc to go in a bag for my pets; you could easily subsidise the cost of livestock (or yourself!!!) feed whilst keeping the streets tidy.

3. lonewolf

i'm not sure that would work for humans! although I do know of a grain store not many miles away where one can pick up grain for free, the lorries tend to lose some out the back of the vehicle as they swing around the corner, all one would have to do is sweep it up.

4. 38thfoot

38thfoot Member

Depends on your needs; soup or vegetable stock is an option but animal feed is probably best.

lonewolf likes this.
  5. ystranc

ystranc Well-Known Member

Good for poultry keepers then LW. I wish I could get free grain.
    There are places further across into Hereford where I can get deformed root veg free for the asking...you know, the kind of thing that the supermarkets won't accept. I used to say it was for my pigs but it was as fresh as anything in the shops, probably much fresher.

6. lonewolf

there have been some attempts by supermarkets to sell undersized or "ugly" veg but it didn't last long.
    the only poultry we have are the birds which visit our garden, we have a supplier for sunflower hearts(£2.75 a bag for regulars £2.99 for everyone else) it's said that it is "baking" quality but we haven't tried that.