1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Gransfors Small Forest Axe

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mark wilson, Jul 22, 2017.

1. ystranc

ystranc Well-Known Member

Very wise, waste not want not. I prefer standing dead for burning if it's available though, once somethings been laying on the floor for a while the rot sets in and it continues rotting in the woodpile....manky wood makes a greater amount of smoke and gives less heat.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Administrator Staff Member

yes, I have to inspect the scrap wood before I include it in my stockpile, rotten wood or anything with paint or heavily preserved is discarded.

3. ystranc

LW, I think the fundamental difference between your landscape and mine is that if I left my house untended for a few years the woods around me would reclaim it but in the past 10 years I've planted well over a thousand additional trees on my surrounding land........Forestry commission? Meh!
    I've been obsessed by woodlands since I was a kid, my mother used to call me Jonny Appleseed because I planted trees everywhere I went.

4. lonewolf

I've been trying to explain to city preppers for years about how quickly mother nature will reassert herself and all those lovely fields that they think aren't managed but just "are" will become overgrown and impassable, old bridges and country roads will fall into the rivers and even main roads will become unusable without anyone maintaining them-just think how many roadworks you see in the summer every year.

5. ystranc

It takes less then 5 years without traffic or maintenance for a road to green over completely here. Brambles and briars will take an ungrazed field in two. Some of the trees that were planted last year are part of a wilding project/experiment.

6. lonewolf

yes, there is a piece of land at the back of my place, was cleared 2 years ago, the scrub, weeds and willow are now higher than my head and i'm 6ft tall, you wouldn't be able to get very far into it and through passage is impossible.