1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Fire Starter

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Tomahawk, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

fire starter.jpg A few things I use !
    Some are just trash.

Marwood and The Fat Chef like this.
  2. The Fat Chef

The Fat Chef New Member

Have you tried potassium permangenate?
    It has other uses as well and you don't need a lot.
    Best way though to start a fire is by friction. Once you have the skill and knowledge it is something that you carry with you forever with out the weight holding you down.
    Truly a skill for life that should be practiced at every opportunity to keep you proficient

3. Brownbear

Brownbear Active Member

Traditional flint and steel for me - light, easy to carry, it doesn't fail and natural tinder is easy to come by (and keep dry with a little care).

Keith likes this.
  4. Keith

Keith Moderator Staff Member

I totally agree with Brownbear, traditional flint, steel & tinderbox is by far the best & most sustainable method of fire lighting especially in a long term wilderness living situation. I have trekked in all weathers & I have never failed to make fire with flint & steel.
    Keith

Brownbear likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Administrator Staff Member

I have today taken delivery of a solar lighter, a round mirrored dish that focuses sun light onto a fixed point to light some tinder, of course you need a sunny day to use it!
    I tend to carry a mixture of traditional and modern types of firelighters, as well as carrying a traditional flint and steel I also carry a Ferro rod, as well as waterproof matches and a couple of disposable lighters and a small magnifying glass.
    I figure that its best to carry more than one way of making fire, when i'm cold and wet I want the fastest way to light a fire and if i'm shivering with the cold a flint and steel isn't necessarily my best option.
    that's just my personal preference.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Marwood likes this.