1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the Preppers Forum, registration is free and only takes a minute and allows you to join in with the discussions.

Please click here to register.

Boots And Foot Care

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ystranc, Oct 5, 2017.

1. ystranc

ystranc Well-Known Member

i often see posts about bug out vehicles, what you store in your bug out bag, knives firearms etc but never posts about foot ware. So many people wear cripplingly impractical shoes as part of a work dress code or fashion statement on a daily basis.
    The wrong footware can make you stand out uncomfortably in some social situations, especially women who for some reason expect to/are expected to wear the most ridiculously impractical shoes. (Even my sister who is built like a pink elephant wears those silly smooth soled, pointy heeled, blister causing instruments of torture)
    What shoes do you and your spouse wear to get you home and how much does the prospect of reacting to an emergency influence your choice of foot ware?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Administrator Staff Member

I mostly wear hiking type boots for everyday wear, its not just walking I can drive the car without having to stop and change footwear. I keep a stock of 5 or 6(it varies) and rotate them and buy more every time I break a new pair in, i'm fairly heavy on boots because of an old motorcycle injury.
    I have the same amount of heavy boots for use doing manual work.

3. ystranc

Same here LW but mine tend to last quite well because I'm not often walking on Tarmac or pavements. I wax or dubbin them everyday to the point where water beads on the surface so the leather stays supple and comfortable. I'm also a great believer in wool rich or alpaca socks to keep my feet dry and comfortable. My meter for wearing any pair of shoes or boots is "if I broke down 30-40 miles from home would I be comfortable hoofing it home. Would I arrive home with raw heels, blisters, lifting toenails and the beginnings of foot rot?" A difficult question to answer until they're broken in but if you do it right it only takes a couple of days.
    (I haven't ridden a motorbike in years, thankfully no major accidents)

4. lonewolf

I was fairly heavy on them because I was wearing cheap(under £20) one's that didn't last very long, its chippings which get into the soles and wear them out, I've upped my budget and the ones I get now are better quality and last much longer. I used to wear ex army boots all the time which I bought at surplus stores(when I lived in a city) but they are too heavy for me these days.
    the motorcycle accident was back in the mid 1960's, I gave up riding about 18 months ago as the joints aren't quite as supple nowadays.

5. Prime

Prime Well-Known Member

Keeping a decent pair of walking boots in the back of the work cars ( if an office worker ) is a good idea.

Reguarly using them to cover distance is an even better idea.

6. mark wilson

mark wilson Moderator Staff Member

A have a few pairs boots sandals trainers for running ...all picked for needs...some more expensive than others. I prefer bare foot. I have never washed my feet in years lol. They don't smell and are hard enough for semi rough ground. Imo feet care is as important as what you put them into.

7. lonewolf

just don't step on any glass, dog poo or chewing gum!!!:rofl::rolleyes::thumbsup:

8. mark wilson

:DDone,done and done. And a nail that put me in hospital for a weekend :rofl: it went straight through :eek:

9. lonewolf

building site was it? that's something that happened all the time when I was in the construction industry.

10. Barbara

Barbara Member

My footwear of choice: sandals - the type for serious walking in, not for fashion. ln reality, it's sandals in summer, hiking type boots or trainers in winter and also a pair of wellies for gardening. They're not fashion wellies either but the type the local farmers wear with reinforced soles and toes. l don't own a pair of high heels, in fact l don't own a pair of what would be considered smart shoes and had to borrow a pair from my mother last time l went to a wedding. By the reception l was back to trainers. l always wear shoes in the house as l got fed up of treading on those single brick bits of Lego. The habit continues even though the Lego is not here. Last time l went shoeless l dropped a table on my toe and broke it (my toe, not the table). Not something you want to do at 4.30 pm on Christmas Eve!

lonewolf likes this.
  11. mark wilson

Exploring a small forest with no shoes on lone and some idiot left a plank of wood with nails sticking up....cost me a weekend in the hospital and 3 weeks with a poultice on and a tetanus in my arss cheek for good measure. All round a very enlightening experience lol

12. mark wilson

Back on topic. Dose anyone have a pair of timberlands. Very expensive I know but a very good boot. I just replaced mine after 6 years of hunting fishing hiking and walking out in all weathers. Even though I replaced them I do still use them for work. I must admit I do buy some fashionable clothes but only because I like them not because I thrive to look good (I already do:D:rofl:). A do think fashion dose offer a lot of good stuff within reason

13. ystranc

A few of the reasons I love my Purofort wellies, steel toe, steel sole, more tread then a tractor and thermal
    on the bright side, at least you didn't ruin a pair of good shoes :snug::rofl:

mark wilson likes this.
  14. mark wilson

A like the way you think:rofl:

A find the steel plate in some boots are noticeable when walking. So this tends to put me of. But different strokes for different folks

15. ystranc

Those boots have saved my poor little toes a few times, they're a bit heavy but ideal if you're using agri implements.

16. mark wilson

A can see the need for using them with Agri implements....makes sense mate...a do like bare feet but a like having all my toes to lol

ystranc likes this.
  17. ystranc

Years back my Dad was fishing for conger eels, a big one bit his boot on the toe and stripped all the rubber off the outside of the steel toe. He was pretty glad he was wearing steel toe boots that day.

18. mark wilson

Nasty beasts congers. Only ever caught 1 years ago. That could have been a nasty wound without steel toes on lucky man for catching a large one and keeping his toes:thumbsup:

19. lonewolf

I've got Cat(caterpillar) boots and Doc Martens, had a pair of Doc's once that lasted me for 12 years and I was wearing them every day 12 months of the year.

20. lonewolf

you've got to watch it when using power tools and stuff, I was once doing some gardening- I was a self employed gardener-I was cutting long grass with a petrol mower and I was wearing wellies, the grass was wet and I slipped and one foot went under the mower and I felt the blade go over my foot, I thought "that's it there goes my toes!" but when I looked at my wellie it had just sliced off the top of the foot part of the wellie and missed my toes............damned lucky that day!!!